Tuesday, May 22, 2012

24. Vacation with Kyle Before We're Married

If I haven't complained about it enough, let me tell you once again that dental school is TOUGH. In the beginning of March, I had eight (yes, eight) exams in three weeks. And that is exactly why one needs a break.  

Spring Break, that is.


Click the "Keep on Readin'" link at the bottom left to continue to the post.


My aunt's parents have a place down in Daytona Beach, Florida, which is isn't too far from the ocean. Kyle and I flew out of St. Louis, and we were so grateful for the gorgeous weather (especially since we didn't have much time).


My lovely mother and Babcia (pronounced "Bop-cha" - it's Polish for grandma) we're there already and came to pick us up from Orlando. Of course we had fun at the pool, walking around Daytona, and enjoying each other's company. At school, I rarely ever get the chance to come home and see everyone I love, so it was a special treat to have two of the most wonderful women in my life join me on vacation. Many thanks to my amazing mother for arranging it all. I love you so much!


It was biker week in Daytona, so there were thousands of motorcycles all over the town. You would think that there was an epic earthquake from how loud and constant the rumbling was. And they were even driving on the beach! And during our stay, Mom took us in the car to drive on the beach, which I had never done before. It was a definitely cool moment.

And besides all of the fun with Mom and Babcia, Kyle and I had been planning our own special sidetrip.

Umm. Hogwarts.


I was hyperventilating the moment we arrived at the gate for the park to open. Kyle and I hustled our butts off to the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" or "Harry Potter-land" as I called it. I started reading the first book when it first came out in '97 when my older brother got me hooked on them after borrowing them from our Catholic grade school's library. 


So Kyle and I wandered around, taking in all the sites. There were so many little details from self-stirring cauldrons to Gilderoy Lockhart book displays to the greenhouse from Hogwarts. Everything was just so incredible. Even Ollivanders was filled with little goodies from the books, especially....


Wands! I viewed and tried all of the wands before settling on a recreation of Fleur's wand because it had a spiral detail on the base of the wand. I'm a sucker for spirals, so it really did seem like "the wand chose the wizard". I know it was dorky, but I was thrilled. I also bought Voldemort's wand ('cause it's hands-down the coolest wand) for my older brother who should have been there with us. Kyle tried all of the wands, but was indecisive. He bought one, but wasn't sure about it. And seriously, there were a billion screaming kids in that shop. It's a small little shop, so grabby, pushy people kind of get on your nerves. Like in a I'm-about-to-clothesline-the-next-kid-who-pushes-me kind of way. Needless to say, we were getting a bit testy and antsy.


Oh, and can I say the Butterbeer is fabulous? Kyle enjoyed the soda version, but I especially loved the frozen Butterbeer. But we both decided that regardless of which version you try, that foamy stuff on top is crazy-amazing. It's like carbonated cream that's butterscotch flavored. If I could order just the foam, I would have been happy. So that's why Kyle and I had 2 and 1/2  (ahem - don't judge) each by the end of the day. Hey, when in Rome, right?


Like I said, there was incredible detail all over the park, and I wish I had more pictures. But they don't do justice to seeing this things in person. I would have loved to have shown you the  (Flaming!) Triwizard Cup or the lifesized Mirror of Erised, but alas, those sorts of pictures didn't turn out too well because of the lighting. All I can say is that I cannot wait to go back! To be able to geek out with Kyle and run around the park was so much fun.


And since this is Universal Studio's Islands of Adventure, there were other areas in the park, but Kyle and I spent most of the day at Harry Potter. But here is an obligatory photo of Kyle being eaten by a Jurassic Park dinosaur. Note the fear in his eyes.


So I know my boyfriend pretty well, and I could tell something was weighing on his conscious all day. And that was the fact that he wasn't "in love" with his wand. The combination of so many choices and pushy people and a way-too-crowded store frustrated the heck out of him so he couldn't think clearly. I made the suggestion we go back and exchange, and he didn't put up a fight. So we went to return it and realize that we had thrown his receipt away (crap). I fished out my receipt since all of the wands are the same price. The man at the counter remarked that the receipt is for a different wand, but I asked if he could manage it. Luckily (one mini heart attack later), we walked out with he Elder Wand in Kyle's hand. He loved it! I guess the wand really does chose the wizard. 


Just one last one for the road! 

Kyle and I split our third Butterbeer. I swear it was just that good. And absolutely worth the stomachache Kyle and I both had.


All in all, our day was action-packed and wonderful. I couldn't have asked for a better time with a better person. It was great to just have the two of us to literally run all over since we we're unencumbered by other people. But that has a double-edge to it, since who is going to take the required couple-y photo in front of Hogwarts? That's what strangers are for, right?


After one more day of fun in the sun, Mom and Kyle had to go home, but we still enjoyed every minute of vacation down to the last second. The scenery was beautiful and provided and much need reprieve from school. That, and I got to hang out my my Mumsy and Babcia, whom I don't see as often as I'd like.


After Mom and Kyle left, Babcia and I had a few days together. We enjoyed pool time, wonderful seafood, shopping, and we even't went mini golfing.


You wouldn't know it, but this woman here got THREE hole-in-ones. And I didn't get any. Long story short, Babcia kicked my ass by at least 5 points. To top it off, she won a free game of mini golf! But alas, the next day I drove us back to Orlando for our departure back home. I still had a few days left before school started again, so I spent even more time with my family.  But then the real world called and told me I still had nine weeks of dental school left.


But really, it was still a great vacation. Love ya, Kyle!




And if you were wondering, my first year of dental school I took just over 80 exams and practicals. Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment